Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Nothing for Free

Well, I was going to do a big update to my channel over last weekend, but partially because I was sick...



... and moreso, because I was a bit disappointed in myself, I didn't do very much. Yes, I uploaded nearly a dozen videos but I have at least twice as much, and I origionally planned to make more.

In a previous blog, I mentioend (implicitly) the Operations - Tactics - Strategy triad. It's part of all forms of managment theory, not just military. Anyhow, I think I can define the seperations better, for "wargames" (RealTime whatevers):

  • Operations - the details of what is done (e.g. "walk north", "shoot at the enemy to the south-east", "follow allied unit #23")
  • Tactics - a goal-oriented directive which informs operations over a longer time-space ("protect this building")
  • Strategy - a bias which informs decisions, such as resource allocation, over a very long time-space ("build logging operations in the forest, and protect them with gun turrets and bases on the east and north coast").
Actually, strategy in its "pure" form is even more abstract, which allows for generalisation, or symbolic representation, e.g. "build resource-gathering operations in the center of a circle of protective, active-defense structures". By then tagging specific resources with as belonging to classifications defined in the strategy, they would be chosen as needed, e.g. gun terrets would be aan "active defense structure", and the coast would be the circumference of the protective circle.

Or something like that.

However, this post is really about YouTube. I used to say it "just works", but that is not really true... I always had trouble with it, primarily with the "non-video" stuff like comments, but now I have enen more trouble with it, and some of my videos mysteriously don't work or something.

That is annoying and, although I've posted over one hundred videos, I've had enough of it. If there's no viable alternative, then I'll build one.

Health Update:

Flu: 9,005
Me: 8,192

Yip, I'm catching up to it!

It's raining today, which means cooler temperatures... and I got a lot of sleep yesterday, which means a happier, less STUPID me.

No comments: