Thursday, August 14, 2008

May's Law

"May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law."
- ripped from Wikipedia, link - Bio on David May, who formulated the law. He's a ... largely unknown genius type, I guess, being one fo the designers fo teh Transputer system. Of course, even Tiem Sweeney and John Camrack are largely unknown (key programmers behind the Unreal and Doom/Quake engine-games, respectively).

Flu: 27. Me: 23. Flu leads by 4 points, but there's still a chance that I will reign victorious.

I have some MLP (Mindless Link Propagation), based on my research into the Transputer arch. and Occam in particular... since the Terminator systems in Chronicles are rumoured to be based directly on the Occam sofware. From a glance, Occam looks retarded, because it forces the designr to explicate parllelism. However, it is interesting that someone tried so hard to build parallel computer systems. Pity they didn't use them for arcade games or military simulation equipment... or did they? No way to knwo about the latter, really.

Anyhow, all these links are from WIki pedia articles (pardon my typos, I'm in a lot of pain but I need to keep moving or else I'll die. Shark blood):

Transputer - the worlds' best kept secret next to the C64 REU. (i.e. the secret is "best", not "best-kept". It would have been nice to be able to buy a microcomputer which could upgrade to a supercomputer just by buying additional parts... basically, like what LAIN did in Serial Experiments Lain.

Occam - Created by people who think that question marks should do things other than ask questions, and were obviously too nerdy to care that their language looks like shit and can't be understood by outsiders.

The must have been Pink.

The article of Process Calculus, which makes that shit sound hard, and ignores the obvious problem (at least to me): sync. stuff blocks the calling process, and async needs to know when data is valid. Unreal acrually addresses some of this via "state" and "latent" keywords, andthe constructs which implement native finite state machines for classes (actually, modes of operation as named states), and soft co-threading on a massive level (hundreds, if not more than thousands, of threads , typically. Mostly sleeping but wtvr).

I hate "math" because it makes easy things sound hard. However, asside from classes which I never bothered to attend, I've never gotten less than a 90% on a math exam. THat's probally bullshit,but the point is that I'm great at math, but I need to apply it to stuff. Which is why I chose Physics, Mathematics, and Accounts at A-Level, eons ago, even though I was too sick to do the exams... hmmm... and now I'm sick again... I shouldn't tell teh Internets this stuff, suppose I can't get a job? What will I do without wage-slavery?

In order to fomally describe concurrent systems CSP was developed. Did I mention that Unreal does all this concurrent stuff, without that fancy math notation shit? I mean, you edit the code in an editor that is part property dialogues, part graphical/art/map editors, and part self-aware code re-interpeter. Or something.

Oh, look, besides Hawkins, thatere's anotehr Steven in science who is actively doing interesting stuff. Actually, I'd more out SE-Z in SMT than Hawkins... but arccording to SMT 1, the Steven in the game was not in a wheelchair due to physical illness, but, rather, as a result of a demon negotiation that went bad, leaving him crippled.

And, of course, since digital media is the new printing press (in that there's a social change and economic reform going on because of these new technologies bring "power to the masses"), I have a link to an article related to stuff like that. Something about Elvis and the business side of music popularity.

I'm gonan go ask the lady in the moon to heal me of this flu. It's almost full, after all.

"Have you ever danced with the Devil in the pale Moon-light?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

MLP and stuff:

Well, cuz, looks like just as much people read your blog as mine... either that, or they never bother to comment.

Anyhow, I'm abotu to try some new DVD burning software, so if my PC blows up, you can tell the investigative team who the most likely culprits are:

http://www.rocketdivision.com/starburn.html

http://www.rocketdivision.com/download_starburn.html

Anonymous said...

Oh, and, I found out about it from here:

http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/dvdcdburning.shtml