Sunday, August 17, 2008

MLP - Because Randomness is Kool

This is another Mindless Link Propogation.

What features are in the ideal RPG? A comment I found [ link ] suggests these features:

  • pick (or create your character, including)
  • stats
  • team (questing party): chose who and wheter to gather as "teammates"
  • teammates (supporting party characters) with unique storylines which you experience by having them in your team
  • the ability to change stats almost at will (like "Red Mage", I guess, in 8BT)
  • various choices: a branching, rather than linear, time/story-line
  • side quests. by the thousands
  • upgrades for weapons, armour, and and other equipment (and, I supposed, vehicles as well). "endless" is that the comment suggested.
  • endless endings which are based on your choices
Well, an "ideal" concept is not supposed to be realisitically obtainable, so words like "endless" are justified in this case, just like "incompressible" describing an ideal fluid.

Moving on to more links:

Something about math, and why it is useful to express things using mathmatical symbols.

Some-one did a "Playtest" of P3, the JPN version. This was before the English-language releast. It is well-written, this playtest. [ link ]

I've been researching "Greensleeves", because I have vague but strong memeories of, in primary school, around age 9 or 10, learning this song which freaked me out because it talked about someone being buried and grass growing on their gravesite, and the grass was called "green sleaves". It was to the tune of "Greensleves", but was nighter a romantic song like [ this youtube vid ], nor does wikipedia give me much joy. I found lyrics to a [ longer version of the love song thingy ] than the [ traditional medley ], but none is as morbid as what I remember.

I'm starting to wonder what I could have possibly learnt when I was younger... could it be that I watched some "thriller" on late-night TV that had alternate lyrics to the tune? This small, non-consequential problem threatens to dominate my whole life, but no, I will just forget it for now and focus on more important things, like how to get rich and make a difference in the world. Or something. That's what world domination is called nowadays, right: social responsiblity.

No comments: